Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Love is but a dung hill

Thanks for dropping in on me while I've been away. Yes, I am working daily on my novel. It's a lot of work, but I am making steady progress. How long did it take the river to carve out the Grand Canyon?

As for my friend Jeff...

Sadly, I think it is not working out with his new love. I am reminded of an old relationship I had. I'll update later with links, but she was hardly worth the trouble when it was all said and done. She had me turned around backwards and inside out. I was so busy playing defense that I never had the time to wonder if she was really right for me. Towards the end, in an effort to let me down easy, she asked for a thirty day break, to see if she actually missed me when it was over. I was such a schlep that I went along with it, and it was her that couldn't take it after a week and a half. And when I agreed to see her, it went right back to where it was before, only worse.

Jeff's new love is a Republican, and told him flatly that she could never marry a Democrat.

She neglected to tell some of her guy friends that she has a new boyfriend.

She asked for a thirty day cessation of sex.

Is that a magic number?

I'm sorry old buddy, but you have to walk away. If you want to leave the light on, go right ahead. But if she cared about you the way you care about her, her friends and her friend's friends would be sick and tired of hearing about you. Whatever you do, don't ever change who you are to please somebody else. If she can't take a difference of opinion, then that might explain why she is still single in her August years.

And as for a thirty day break, say that you'll see her thirty and raise her a lifetime.

18 comments:

Dixie Belle said...

I hope he takes your advice!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Ha!

I agree. She sounds like she will never meet Mr Right. 'I could never marry a Democrat'

And they say romance is dead...

Bernita said...

Think you're right.

Moni said...

Well howdy! Glad to see you back. Sorry for you friend Jeff. According to the good book, love is supposed to bear all things and conquer all things, even politcal party differences.

But these days it doesn't even seem to be the least bit accomodating. :)

On your novel...the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. At least you've got few steps in. :)

Kathleen said...

Tell Jeff to run and run fast. She's a schmuck. I've actually said that I wouldn't date a Republican, so instead I'm dating a Libertarian (in my opinion, not a huge difference). ;-) If it's right, I find those lists of characteristics for a potential partner go right out the window.

Scott said...

Dixie - He won't. What guy ever does?

Toast - Ve-ry clever my friend!

Bernita - You are the most economic commentor in cyber-space!

Moni - The key to that statement is "love." It has to be involved for that to work.

Kat - Nothing wrong with a little discourse in a relationship. Keeps it interesting. My wife and I are independents, but don't always see eye to eye. We split over Clinton for instance, but we both are not too disappointed with the change of the house and senate guards.

Anonymous said...

Thank such a hard situation for your friend. You've given him great advice.

Toni Anderson said...

She doesn't sound very nice. LOL at the 30 day magic number. That is weird. A 30 ban on sex. Hmmm... I mean that is just weird setting a time limit if you just aren't interested.

Nice to see you back Scott--sorry I'm not making sense--struggling with a head cold. You probably didn't even notice ;)

fakies said...

He's alive! Woot!

Get the heck outta Dodge quick, Jeff. Listen to wise ole Scott and go fast in the other direction.

I hate politics, so I wouldn't marry someone who was a fanatic one way or another. It seems to be one of those things that makes people all radical and weird. You know, like the owners of little show dogs. :P

Jada's Gigi said...

Ahh sex and love...people so often confuse the two...sorry bout your friend...I was hoping he'd found a happy every after...maybe he'll listen to your advice...
Nice to see you back...good for you still working on your novel!

Shesawriter said...

I was beginning to worry about you, bud. Sorry about your friend. That girl sounds like a real pill.

Scott said...

Jason - Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did. I feel for that guy.

Toni - I noticed! Very funny.

Trina - Woot back atcha sista. Good observation politically. I know too many political nuts to be comfortable keeping one fulltime. Mostly I know liberal nuts, being from where I am, but I've also listened to Ann Coulter, and that's just as bad.

Cheryl - Thanks! I'm plugging away at the novel and got some good feedback from my class last night.

Tanya - Still around, and thanks for dropping by. I'm just using my time to get some writing done, and it's a lot more work than I expected.

Natalie said...

Good to see you back, I missed you in cyberspace! I'm glad you are getting lots done though. Are you going to reward those of us who are patiently waiting with a little taste of what you've been writing? :)

When a relationship is that young, you shouldn't need a break from talking, sex, etc. You are right, discourse is good, after the two really know eachother. Before that? You're just asking for trouble. Too bad for Jeff.

Jim said...

"say that you'll see her thirty and raise her a lifetime." OMG, that's absolutely BRILLIANT!

Bhaswati said...

Good to hear about the progress with your novel and sorry to hear about Jeff. Best wishes for both of you.

Bailey Stewart said...

Sounds like things are really going well on the writing front. I think my muses have given me the thirty day break excuse.

Yep, Jeff better run for them thar hills.

Beth said...

Well, let's hope she's either not as bad as all that or if she is ... Jeff gets away quickly.

jenbeauty said...

Love and life is never easy....hope your friend figures it out.

Keep on plugging with the novel!