Saturday, July 14, 2007

I'll Keep on Plugging

It's highly unusual of me to post on the weekend, but I felt like I should reply to all the responses to my last post. First, it is nice to be appreciated. More than nice, actually. When the blog started, it was, as Natalie (magnetbabe) pointed out, a place to lay out some of my memoirs. More than this, it was a place to confess all my sins. To my knowledge, I have never lied about my part in things. I was going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that anyone who ever said a bad thing about me was absolutely correct. I told you about the time I laid the blame on a friend in fifth grade, how he accepted it, and how the teacher exposed my black little soul. I can still feel the sting.

I worked through my childhood, through all the step mothers, life with my philandering father. And then the well went dry. What else was there to say?

I found a post where I promised to write a new short story every week or some such. And that might have happened if I didn't lose my job in California. Life changed and my priorities with it.

And now I'm writing a novel. At least I hope I'm writing a novel. I'll only be certain when I finish. The blog has become a hodgepodge of posts about what I have determined to be of no interest to anyone. When I wrote my memoirs, there was an energy there, and a punch that I knew would be sure to knock you in the jaw. I want to feel that again.

But it feels good to hear that, despite it all, you don't mind having me around. I'll keep on plugging. And you never know, I might just find my wings again.

6 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

Hello Scott,
we change and accommodate to changes. Sometimes the change comes unexpected, unappreciated and underestimated.
Sometimes changes happen deep within when we don't know they are there at all.
I'm delurking to say some positive and encouraging to you.
Keep on blogging, that's sort of your monitoring yourself.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I found my wings down the back of the sofa.

24crayons said...

I don't know where to find a pair of wings, but I don't think its ever a good idea to give up.

Good luck with the novel.

Anonymous said...

Scott - It is nice having you around. You write about random stuff, but your writing is good.

Don't worry, sometimes you're on fire and sometimes things get dull. But just keep going. Not everything has to be your best work. Just keep going.

Dixie Belle said...

Glad to hear you plan to stick around even though your wings are closed. Every eagle needs a little rest.

Mr. T said...

Its happens, Scott.

I've disappearred from time to time as you know. I've suffered as you have. I just hope you are strong than I and stick with it. You helped inspire me in some of my writings and as I struggle to keep it going I can only hope that I can return the favor or "pay it forward" to some other aspiring writer.

If you need a break, take it. Nothing is worse than burn out.
But you have to take it in the understand and promise not to us but yourself that you will return.