Thursday, January 19, 2006

Be John Elway

I have a big interview today that could set me up with a good paying contract for the next six months or more. I have all the skills for the job and more, so it all depends on the questions they ask. I've been to interviews where the questions are so pointed that it seemed like I didn't know anything about technology I use every day to great effect.

There has been considerable drama concerning an investment I just put half our savings into. My cousin is a commerical real estate mini-tycoon in Houston, and he structured a partnership so that his family could all combine to qualify as one investor with the minimum contribution. I panicked at the end when I had to wire funds to the partnership bank account because I got the partnership papers and instructions to wire the money immediately, which sent off the alarm bells and I asked to pull out.

My cousin has been going through hell dealing with another family partner who has been screaming about I don't know what, so he is swearing off any family involvement in the future. Then I had a change of heart and asked to be put back in. People, this is half of my savings at a time when I am out of work, and our current expense exceeds what I was making before, and the salaries here in the Boston area are lower than what I was making. I was a little bit spooked.

Anyway, we are back in. The projected payoff is somewhere between three and five to one. I won't be a made man if it does pay in this range, but I will have some lattitude to invest in a business of my own. It would be a good start. When I pulled out, I felt more like a sailing ship in the middle of the ocean without a wind to push me.

That's the current status. I'll let you know how the interview went. I have to remember to not laugh suddenly, and keep the random spittle factor to zero. Keep calm, no clammy palms, and be John Elway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my - pretty scary about the investment stuff, so I'll be thinking about you. Good luck on the interview!

mr. schprock said...

Yeah, good luck on the interview. I don't know if it is too late or not, but I'd be Tom Brady.

Investments can be scary. I hope it works out for you.

Kathleen said...

Good luck on the interview and the investment project.

Moni said...

Well I take it on the investment there's a time limit. If it weren't then you could always take the money out and then when you get your new job(and you will), reinvest the money. Of course that's overly simplistic; that's my knowledge of investments..."overly simplistic." Ha!

Shesawriter said...

Whatever you do, don't imagine the interviewer in his undies. You'll laugh for sure then. :-)

Tanya

The Zombieslayer said...

Yeah, you need to be careful about investing with family members. When you're doing well, expect to pull more than your weight because your other family members won't pull their and will expect you to carry the rest of the load. Fact of life.