Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Wish Me Luck

Just to let you know, I lost my job yesterday, so this puts me in a situation. I've been working at home for the last year, and have enjoyed being with my family, even if behind a closed office door. My wife told Jackson that I have to find another job, and that when I find one, I'll have to be gone during the days again. Jackson said, "You mean daddy won't be back until dark?" Yes. He cried.

That's assuming I can find one in this area. I've spoken to recruiters, and the reviews are mixed, but consensus points to a recovering economy, that people in similar situations are finding work. We'll see.

So, if you live in the Boston area and know of a company that hires software developers of the java server variety, then I'm the man.

I don't know how much I will blog. There is a stack of books beside me now. Design Patterns Explained. XML Schemas. I have tutorials on web services, struts and tiles, and working with JBoss. I'll have to dust off the text books on database design principals so I can answer the haughty questions about first normal form and the difference between a left inner and a right outer join. I'll probably have to explain linked lists and hash algorithms, and solve the Tower of Babel puzzle in 8086 assembly language. All in all, I'll have to be Jesus Christ and Mohammed rolled into one great big power joint, one hit from which will knock your dick in the dirt--all to get a job that pays half of what I make now. And by the time I get the job, I'll be grateful.

10 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Jenn Doll said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, Scott. I'll send whatever wishes, thoughts and prayer I got your way...

mr. schprock said...

Crap! That is very bad news. And right around the holidays too. I feel for you, Scott. Good luck. Who knows? You might find yourself in a better situation.

fakies said...

Man, that really sucks. May you be just what the recruiters are looking for, and they offer you twice as much as you were making. That way, I can come to you for a loan. :)

Shesawriter said...

Scott,

I'm so very sorry this has happened to you. I said a prayer for you---that you get a new situation quick, fast and in a hurry. I also hope you'll be able to stay at home. My heart goes out to your little boy. Chin up, buddy. You'll do fine.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

Scott how terrible! I'll definitely be thinking about you and sending prayers out. Don't worry about blogging - we understand.

Moni said...

Awe Scott I'm sorry you lost your job. Don't fret though, I know you'll find another and maybe even a better one.

And don't worry about the wee ones, they have a way of tugging at your guilt strings, but they'll be okay. It'll just take time for them to adjust to the situation.

Keeping you in my prayers my friend. ;)

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I don't understand most opf the things you said, which means you are probably very good at your chosen proffession.

The better the IT person, the less you understand them.

That's my rule!!

Good luck. I doubt you'll need it though.

Kathleen said...

I feel for you. I'm dreading the possibility that come Jan. 23, I'll be jobless. The difference being that I have no marketable skills. *sigh* I wish I were a bit more computer savvy.

Good luck to you! I have faith that you'll be fine!

The Zombieslayer said...

Scott - How far is Burlington Woods? If it's within reach, click here.