Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Thanks Flood

A special thanks to Flood once again for taking the time to interview me. I feel like I'm turning a corner. There are several ideas that I have floating in my head for novel length stories, so maybe it's time to start one. For the past couple weeks I've been tapping away at a short story, but the characters are becoming quite developed, and I'm at a loss to even introduce the antagonist yet. I've only written two thousand words, but it seems to be building instead of concluding.

By the way, I have to quote Mr. Schprock's comment to my interview. He really should have a column in the newspaper:

This is one of the best damn interviews I have ever read--and I include the legendary 1970 Tiger Beat interview of David Cassidy when I say this. Flood, you didn't ask Scott what kind of tree he would be, but I consider that only a minor slip. If I wasn't already a loyal reader of Scott's blog, I would be now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: he's the best damn commenter in the blogosphere.

Janey suggests that I just forget about genre and never consider it again. Funny, that seems to go against everything I've read. It sounds good though, liberating actually. Don't worry about it. Write it down. See where it goes. Do not be shackled by the rules of the chosen genre. Just do it. Nike.

Tomorrow I am going to talk about the time I caught my dad and mom having sex. Wednesday is my highest traffic day, so I’ll try to make it a good one. And don't forget to look in on Jason, who is sponsoring another writing contest. The Two Lights contest was a screaming success, not only for Jason, whose statistics spiked through the clouds, but for everyone involved. I met some great people and made great connections.

15 comments:

Beth said...

Mr. Schprock definitely has a blessed gift with the written word. I spend more time reading his comments than actual posts. LOL

Kathleen said...

Schprockie kills me. I'm always giggling at his comments.

And I'm in complete agreement with the forget the whole genre crap. Do what you want and let it be what it is. See Jasper Fforde's books to see how he's created his own genre.

Flood said...

Thank YOU for being so open, Scott. Made for a great interview.

I have no doubt at all that you are gonna great. I know you will make it.

Looking forward to the contest!

Bailey Stewart said...

I'm with Janey - the book will be what it will be regardless. Muses seem to have their own agenda.

I remember the 1970 Tiger Beat interview ...

And see, Bailey wasn't that hard. :)

Tee/Tracy said...

Ooo - waiting for Wednesday! LOL.

fakies said...

I hope, for your parents' sake, that won't be a short story. :P

Anonymous said...

It's fascinating to see how each blog becomes what it most needs to be for the owner. Mine has done that for me, and yours has definitely developed a soul. Your soul.

Thanks for the contest mention, Scott! The "Midnight Road" Short Fiction Contest will be posted tonight at midnight. I invite you all to take a walk with me....

writingblind said...

I'm so glad Flood posted that interview or else I would never have found your wonderful blog. Although now I am curious about that tree thing.

Anonymous said...

Scott, thanks for the surprise visit today. I enjoyed your Flash Flood interview as well. Your post for tomorrow sounds too interesting to miss. See you then...

Natalie said...

Great interview! And LOL at Schprock (as usual). Your lack of genre and the fact that you are all over the map with your blog is one of the things that makes you so fantastic. I never know what I'm going to get when I go to your site. I hope if you do get published, you won't let yourself be pigeon-holed. Keep being you!

Jeff said...

Great interview, Scott. :)

Scott said...

Beth - I think we, you and I, have to be his biggest fans. But who knows?

Kat - Hmmm. I'll have to check that one out.

Flood - My pleasure. One of us will have to give you a chance to interview back. Can I have first dibs?

Erin - Well then, that does make it even funnier. Somehow I didn't think you would let your kids watch that movie. Not yet.

Janie - I don't know for sure if those people worried about genre. Rowlands is clearly a fantasy writer inspired by Terry Pratchett. Gaiman bounces around but sticks to a sort of mythology based fantasy. Pullman is following in the footsteps of other adventure fantasy writers. I haven't read all of the works of these writers, but that's what I've noticed so far. They seem focused to me.

Bailey - I thought Schprock made that up out of the blue. It's still funny as hell, but it really happened. I'll have to google that one.

Tee - Well, the contest only opens on Wednesday. You should enter by the way!

Jason - Those are some inspiring words. Thanks for that. And of course I have to mention your contest. You totally rocked on the last one. You spent a lot of time with it, and gave great critical feedback. I hope to leverage that in this contest, now that I know what the judge is looking for. Ha ha ha!

Blind - Good to see you. And excellent post today. A great example of what I was talking about in my interview. Be honest, and be you. Write what you know and be true. You really wowed me today.

Fringes - Then I'll put a little extra effort into it. See you tomorrow, and thanks for stopping by.

Nat - Thanks for saying all that. It's nice to be appreciated for being sporatic.

Jeff - Why thank you sir!

Bailey Stewart said...

Scott - I was kidding. LOL I was just showing my age - afterall, I probably did read a 1970 Tiger Beat interview with David Cassidy, or Bobby Sherman, or ...

Scott said...

Trina - How could I have missed replying to your comment? Just so you know, I didn't get close enough to see!

Bailey - Oh! Now I feel silly. I actually seem to remember some kind of interview with David Cassidy... Bobby Sherman? I have no idea who that is. I googled him and still don't recognize him. Is there hope for me yet?

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Uhhh...

Power is nothing without control?

Pirelli